28 December 2020
Cosmetic laser treatment: Everything you need to know!
Cosmetic laser treatment is becoming increasingly popular nowadays. This is because it can be used for several purposes. What exactly is this type of treatment and where can it be conducted in Mauritius? Dr Didier Van Den Broeck is an expert in the matter and he is going to advise you in the best way possible.
Basically, this type of cosmetic treatment involves using a laser, a single-wavelength (one colour of light) source of high-energy light, which is focussed on a small area of the body to obtain certain results. How can be it used for cosmetic purposes?
Types of laser treatment for cosmetic purposes
If you have the following issues, you can book an appointment with Dr Didier Van Den Broeck to learn about whether this type of cosmetic treatment is suitable for you.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: If you want to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles, a combination of skin resurfacing and skin-tightening procedures can be utilised to solve this problem.
- Skin Tightening: Most forms of laser surgeries are going to offer some level of skin tightening since the process encourages collagen production. However, the new generation of RECOSMA lasers can be used for more significant tightening results.
- Pigmented lesions: Cosmetic laser treatment can also be used to treat pigmented lesions. Some examples of these are sun spots, age spots, melasma and other forms of hyperpigmentation.
- Precancerous Lesions: Here it is important to make the distinction: Cancerous legions must be removed via a scalpel to ensure complete removal. Nonetheless, laser surgery can be utilised to remove precancerous growths before they have a chance to become malignant. In simple terms, this operation acts as a preventive measure.
- Vascular lesions: These are broken blood vessels on the face, unsightly spider veins on the legs, spider nevi, hemangiomas, and certain birthmarks such as port wine stains. Such irregularities can also be treated with laser.
- Acne scars: Erbium/yag is the laser of choice to treat acne and acne scars. LED technology is also very effective for the treatment of active acne.
- Removal of disgracious hair: The very brigh new technology of the laser RECOSMA can provide elimination of disgracious hair without burning or painful process on dark or very light skin.
How to prepare for a laser cosmetic treatment?
If you want to give your skin a younger and healthier look, you can consult with Dr Didier Van Den Broeck who is going to identify your issues and advise you on the best type of treatment according to your needs. A consultation with an expert is of utmost importance since only he will be able to determine whether you are a good candidate.
Additionally, after the consultation session, Dr Didier Van Den Broeck is going to give you a list of Dos and Don’ts that must be taken into consideration. For instance, you may have to stop taking certain medications some days before the operation. Smoking must also be stopped for a couple of weeks before and after the operation since this can prolong healing. Dr Didier Van Den Broeck might also prescribe some medications, such as antibiotic which must be taken beforehand to prevent bacterial infections.